State Level Technical Institute (SLTI) under PM FME Scheme
Ministry of Food Processing Industry (MoFPI) has launched the Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro Food Processing Enterprises (PM FME) scheme under the Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan with the aim to enhance the competitiveness of existing individual micro-enterprises in the unorganized segment of the food processing industry and promote formalization of the sector. The scheme is functional over a period of five years from 2020-21 to 2024-25 with a total outlay of Rs 10,000 crore. The scheme adopts the One District One Product (ODOP) approach to reap the benefit in terms of procurement of inputs, availing common services and marketing of products providing the framework for value chain development and alignment of support infrastructure.
One of the main components of the scheme encompasses to provide capacity building and training support to increase the capabilities of the enterprises and upgradation of skills of workers. Mehr Chand Mahajan DAV College, Chandigarh has been chosen as the State Level Technical Institute (SLTI) for capacity building and training (ODOP- Bakery and Confectionary) in the entire U.T, Chandigarh. Capacity development under the Scheme encompasses a whole range of activities designed to empower individuals and groups. Under the Scheme, it is envisaged to provide training to the new and existing food processing entrepreneurs as well as raise awareness and knowledge about the scheme and its associated benefits and outcomes.
• To enhance the competitiveness of existing individual micro-enterprises in the unorganized bakery segment and apprise them of the present PM FME scheme, its need, benefits and process of applying.
• To impart skill related training and to apprise the beneficiaries/participants in detailed technical aspects of ODOP ranging from raw materials , working process flow, packaging requirements, equipment’s required to initiate bakery unit, plant layout etc.
• To apprise the beneficiaries of the need and importance of formalization in the bakery sector which emphasis on food licensing, its process of applying and its significance in further expanding the enterprise.
• To emphasize and make the beneficiaries aware of the practice and minimal norms of food safety and hygiene required, regular hazard analysis and checks etc. to be followed and executed during the working of the bakery units.
• To demonstrate core concepts in baking theory and methodology via providing hands-on training to the participants in making the various ODOP i.e Bakery related products following the set guidelines of safety and hygiene while detailing the new evolving technologies.